Portugal is a steadily growing destination for gay travellers in Europe. With almost all the gay rights being granted and many laws protecting the local gay community, Portugal's LGBT community is one of the happiest in the world. In addition, the local gay scene is developing year by year offering a great range of things to do, to the gay singles or couples who are choosing Portugal for their holidays. Find out below the top DOs and DONTs about gay travel in Portugal!
- Find the hot nudist gay beach "19" located at the southern end of Costa da Caparica near Lisbon and get ready for the hottest experience in Portugal!
- If you are visiting a rural area in Portugal like Braga, Évora or Madeira, then we would recommend you to keep a discreet profile as their communities are pretty enclosed. On the other hand, big cities like Porto & Lisbon are very open-minded and holding hands with your boyfriend on public is accepted!
- If you are looking for a naughtier experience in Portugal, then you must try the gay saunas of Porto; Sauna Thermas 205 and Sauna Spartakus!
- Are you looking for a destination in Portugal with a hot gay life? Then you should choose Lisbon as it has the most organised gay scene in the country packed with several interesting gay venues. Some popular gay bars in Lisbon include Bar 106, Sétimo Céu, TR3S Lisboa & Woof LX Bar.
- Learn more about the Portuguese culture by visiting Mosteiro dos Jerónimos in Lisbon, a church and monastery featuring some of the finest examples of Manueline architecture.
Even though there are traces of gay life almost everywhere in Portugal, don't expect to find the intense gay lifestyle of a metropolis like Chicago or London, excluding, of course, the city of Lisbon!